Hindsight (20/20/20) - Bimini, Bahamas

 As some of you have taken notice...

We have fell quiet recently.
It's an understatement to say that life has humbled us.
It seems that no matter where you are in life....and what you think you might know...
There is always so so much more.

This year has been a difficult one.
And this journey has not been something I will sugarcoat with fairytales.

In truth, almost everyday challenges schooled us in life.

Finally, we thought we were set....
Bandaged together after the two storms that took apart our boat piece by piece in Florida.

Trying to learn the weather, tides and currents...we found ourselves still moving forward with what seemed to be almost uneducated decisions.  As if the hours debating, checking, and referring to countless insights, never even existed.

As we set out for our first crossing (Florida to Bimini, Bahamas) we were nervous.  Honestly, I cannot even say I was excited.  I think my nerves won this round....and even as I tried to quiet my brain and let my heart enjoy the moment, it just wouldn't be silenced.

Perhaps this was for good cause?

Gotta love how hindsight is always 20/20! 
Although I'll say based on the fact we will repeat most mistakes I'm not sure about that!
Seems like we need another 20 in there...for the percentage we actually take away from lifes lessons.  Call it the 20/20/20 rule!

Needless to say, we had found ourselves a buddy boat and off we went.
The waves nearly engulfing the boat....at least the few I saw, as my eyes were pinned to our feet both wanting to look up and yet wanting to step back from the moment completely.

A smooth 7.5 hours later we were pulling safely into the most beautiful blue water.
Melting away the days journey....we took a breathe and finally allowed our hearts to take in the moment.  

See why I added that extra 20 above.  I'm pretty sure only a smidgen of the lessons we were meant to learn actually stuck.  It's the beauty and curse of life.  

I will also say that the story of the crossing is just as simple as above....although many people probably crave more details...the reality is that words cannot capture this experience.

I will simply say it wasn't the beautiful heartwarming memory we hoped to cherish.  Instead, it prompted us to high tail it home....leaving all belongs behind. ( who knows we still might!) 

At the moment we sit trying to decide what our next steps are.....I think the lesson is buried deep into our souls....because Im not so sure.  In fact I'm not so sure of any of it anymore.

I have always tried to be a family person....
Scraping and clawing to arrange family get-togethers when I was younger...
Striving for those Hallmark moments.
And yet here we were....a million miles away from family and friends on the adventure of a lifetime?

As we settled in, phones were canceled (thanks for nothing Rogers!) 
And the ability to communicate with others became even harder....(you can still reach us on my facebook and Instagram)

Novel things you take for granted...were replaced with other things we will I am sure grow to love....but right now simply find hard.

Who would have thought as we tucked ourselves into "paradise" we would find ourselves wanting to be back home.

Words from a former friend echo in my ears and resound in my heart, about how I will never truly be happy no matter where I am.  I am always just after something else.  

I cannot say that she was wrong, in fact I know that she was right.
It's one of the things we strive to accept and quiet every day, together!
It's that nomadic soul! 
If you are like us....you understand only too well.
Somehow at peace being lost in the beauty of the world.

I will say I do not think I will miss another Christmas back home, and this summer I will scramble harder than ever before to have that family gathering and see those friends.

Believe you me when I say that you are lucky to have been dragged and overwhelmed by all of your friends and families that wanted to embrace you and celebrate the year with them! You would miss it if you could step back and see it through those frosted windows.

So now what?

We find ourselves in need of some items before we carry on.
Sadly after many repairs and teardowns...our generator is no longer with us.
This is a key item for charging the boat...and making water to drink.

As I type this I cannot help but giggle to myself as we are once again chasing the basics of life!
Power...water....food....hmmm safety!

Is life trying to tell us something?
Is this journey a challenge to be rewarded...or screaming for us to humble ourselves...recheck and see if it is truly what we still want.

It is not our egos that drive us, we are not too proud to change our path.
We are driven to live our happiest of lives.....
And I pinky swear to you that we have had to swallow our pride and pull up our britches from time to time.

But now what?
We most certainly have no idea.

We sit in another Marina (this one swallowed by beauty) 
Waiting for weather to pass.

Watching as weather rips through the places we have been....perhaps warning us that that is not the course? (insert aw ha moment here) 

Perhaps this is the point of this entire journey?
I guess time will tell.....
Bring on that hindsight :) 

#chasinghindsight
#nowwhat
#20/20/20


Apparently, these trees are planted all across the Caribbean so that sailors could build new Masts wherever needed


Portuguese man o'war (this little beauty DEMANDS your respect...and distance)



And so we sit.  Unable to buy a new one or repair the old





Our neighbors have been more than kind! W|aking up to fresh lobster and wahoo until our freezer overflowed with FRESH food!



Jeepers Creepers! We made it? 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally an update on everything and nothing

Helllllo Charity Status!

4800 km to go! But whos counting!